When I was on holiday I learned something. In not superb conditions it is actually fun to let other windsurfers try to go as fast as possible with your gps. It was cool to see how great time they had to try going faster and be the fastest of the day. I found myself looking the wrong way, I was only looking to improve/sail/improve/sail. But after I have shared the speedsurfing experience it was way more fun on the spot
- I would like to be the fastest, YES of course. Soo I thought how can I win this??? Simple be the fastest every month. This means I have to sit on far away recordspots waiting for wind and do those 5 fast runs. This means the fastest sponsored riders are sort of required to sail on places with no crowd/ other windsurfers??? How do I have to promote speedsurfing on the wad, talk to seals?? Bring my own cameraman??
- With my job I get a lot of freedom, soo no problem. But I know most other speedsurfers don't even want to look at this ranking, sometimes there is only 1 depression in a month. When you miss you loose places just by being unlucky. These kind of frustrations are not needed!
- When there is actually a recordday the best speedspot gets overcrowded making it impossible for the best sailors to go really fast, like worldrecordbreaking fast...
I thought up 2 alternatives, maybe some other has even a better idea?
- Make the ranking not only based on speed but add location. The database already contains spotrecords. So why not give points for breaking spotrecords or getting very close? This would be more intresting for the promotion of our beautiful sport!
- Use dayrankings, so if you win you get most points, make total contenders also a value that counts. This keeps speedsurfers closer together and competitive. The only thing I don't like about this it doesn't make speedsurfers to visit other spots.
Luckily the ranking is not taken this serious YET. But I understand someday this would be the ranking to look up who is now at that very moment the fastest sailor.