Inspired ==> Windsurf Crossings
I haven't made an gps-crossing account yet, also I currently don't use/have a GPS. However I enjoy planning a crossing, preparing equipment and myself for such a crossing. When I windsurf it is about making a journey, instead of focus on 2 or 10 seconds. I like the idea of connecting and crossing two locations just by the wind.
I changed equipment to fit crossings (read more safety):
- Changed to sails on RDM masts (I have now a Loft Blade), a broken mast when 10km from shore is dangerous
- Fins have been made less sharp. Latest session this year I managed to cut myself on my fin. I was 15 minutes sailing from the beach. That was an event that made me aware a less sharp fin and tougher wetsuit would be more safe
- less weight is easier over distance. It is true more weight does give more speed at the moment the wind falls away. But that is not a problem, its open water and stable wind. The best is not to fatigue quick and have fun (instead of fighting with the elements)
- small emergency kit
- knive- screwdrive
- spare fin (small widebase?)
- some fresh water
- an easy (wrist?) gps for navigation. I tried a normal sailboat compass, but windsurfing and reading a compass was not working due the motion of the equipment.
Much more to come and explore about crossings.. It is a new thing and we windsurfers should explore which equipment and combinations would be best for crossings.
When the equipment is perfect I will try to do the longest distance over Markermeer from Zeeburg.
Erik is windsurfer for 10+ years. In his daily life he is professional in construction dewatering, advisor, troubleshooter. Erik likes adventures, explore and to challenge himself. During his life he is trying to get the best out of it and have respect for the earth, nature and future generations. The modern world is about sharing, in this blog Erik shares his experiences, selfreflection and lessons learned.
"Independent Guide for your Dewatering Site" Bemalingsadvies, Construction dewatering engineering and troubleshooting, Bronbemaling
Be seen Be known
"Making you the go-to-expert"
"Empowering small business owners to build a sustainable lifestyle"